Studies have been conducted to determine whether there is a correlation between addiction and personality traits. Some researchers have tried to find a common factor that can help perceive, prevent, and handle addiction. Among these numerous attempts is labeling the addictive personalities.
The concept carries a certain degree of workability and controversy. However, it has been regarded as too general and broad. To some, it seems to complicate the subject matter rather than explain. There are those who find it difficult to prove that addiction and personality traits are connected. But on the other hand, it is not easy to rule out either.
The correlation between addiction and personality traits are now under the spotlight considering that several different traits were found to be common among people with addiction problems. These encompass the whole of dependency rather than singling out mere drugs and alcohol addiction.
Addiction and Personality Traits
Personality traits were found and confirmed to be existing due to numerous studies. Being conscious about these personality traits of addiction enables the professionals to make predictive capabilities in relation to addiction. These are seen as beneficial in preventing addiction as well but they can also make recovery quite challenging and complicated.
- Inability to handle stress – Handling stress is challenging but there are people who find comfort in addictive substances because they cannot manage their lives. They turn to addiction in the hope that they cover up their pain.
- Grandiose feelings – People who start using substances and have this trait feel like there is no way for them to be actually addicted to the substances believing they have control. But the reality is they lack control as demonstrated by the fact that they are using drugs or alcohol, and this pushes them to addiction.
- Denial – People who are in denial refuse to accept that there is an existing problem. They will have excuses for their behavior and will insist that they have no problem of any kind.
- Impulsiveness or acting even without thinking – It is common to act on an impulse but there are few who simply cannot control their impulses. As a result, they are most likely to form addictive behavior.
- Appreciates nonconformity and dislike conformity – Being a nonconformist seems to be a trademark of people with addiction as they believe they do not have to follow the rules of the society. If they develop an addiction, nonconformists will use this trait to explain their condition. Unfortunately, they will continue with using and abusing substances because of their belief that their unique trait makes them special.
- Compulsiveness – A person who repeats a behavior over and over again can be caught in a cycle that may be difficult to break, such as addiction. They find it difficult to stop, leading to compulsive alcohol or drug use.
- Low self-esteem – People without the confidence to face others and the world often keep to themselves. They turn to activities that are bad and not suitable for them. They will think of themselves as not worthy enough to live a clean and healthy lifestyle.
Roles of Personality Traits in Recovery
The traits mentioned above do not encompass all people suffering from addiction. Simply put, not all individuals with addiction have these traits. However, they are commonly observed among many of them, which is where the connection comes from.
As mentioned earlier, these traits have a predictive value for the professionals so it is easier to determine addiction early on. These traits, however, can also make the person self-destruct. People in recovery should be aware of these traits in them for them to handle it better. After all, they make it difficult for one to regain their lives if they let these traits reign them over. Unfortunately, they can also control one’s life.
Awareness of the existence of these traits allows the person to come up with certain strategies and mechanisms to circumvents their possible detrimental effects. In addition, if these traits are able to influence the life of a person recovering from addiction, relapse can happen faster.
This is the reason why it is crucial to properly manage these personality traits by enlisting the help of medical professionals who can help the person create a plan. Get this assistance with the utmost comfort from Elite Rehab Placement. Experience a luxurious way of focusing on getting back your life together with our treatment programs. Call or email us today.